Read the following article about the 2013 US Government Shutdown, then answer the question below.
1) What is the central idea of this article?
The government shutdown has led to the closing of national parks.
The health insurance exchanges at the core of a new healthcare law has begun operation.
This article provides a definite timeline for when the government would reopen.
This article describes the government shutdown, reporting on some of its causes, developments and consequences.
2) What do the Republicans hope to accomplish by trying to reopen small slices of the government with a piecemeal approach?
They want to avoid collecting less tax revenues.
They have set a fixed deadline to reopen the government.
They hope to create political pressure on the Democrats.
They want to raise the debt limit.
3) What is the primary goal of the Republicans?
To raise the debt limit. Aligned with Common Core:
To delay or rollback the health care law.
To save money by shutting down government services.
To select which government departments they want to fund.
RI.6.1, RI.7.1, RI.8.1, RI.9-10.1 and RI.11-12.1
- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what
the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
RI.6.2, RI.7.2, RI.8.2, RI.9-10.2 and RI.11-12.2
- Determine a central idea of a text and analyze its development over the
course of the text, including its relationship to supporting ideas;
provide an objective summary of the text.